Skip to main content

TO SIR, WITH RESPECT


In life we sometimes meet few people who though meet you by chance and yet left indelible impact on your life journey and have positive impact on your thought process. I consider myself one of the fortunate man who has been provided such an opportunity to meet several such personalities. One  such personality  is our teacher  Upendra sir , away from coaching  “mandi” of Rajendra  nagar who make students love sociology. I have used word love rather than teaching, because this is what seems a fit and anybody whom I met has same thing to say, if he ever met Sir . Though, I must confess that I wasn’t lucky enough to attend his lectures due to my official duties but yes, due to his kind gestures, I had few interactions with him in the course of preparation for mains 2011 and following discussions on tests. When I first met him, my voice was almost blocked and I thought of him as some colonel of NDA.  So followed the discussion which started by lambasting aspirants who wrote previous tests and then followed his presentation of answer which was so perfect  that I was reading it again and again and forgot what he had to say on another question. Then followed his advisory for sociology answers writing which is equally true for all humanities optional and even general studies.  
What turned to be most important was most feared by examinees ie answer checking which was best part as copies were evaluated in your presence which was  both healing and killing as I was listening it from my later turned friends Ali Abbas,Bharat Bhaviskar,Khusboo and Umesh  who were my companions on road to UIAS.  After some wait, came turn of  my copy and when my eager ears were waiting to listen some praise, (as I’ve written some seemingly good answers, which later turned out to be my subjective perception) ,after my previous companions who now were down-to-earth after “advisories ” of sir. He gave a look on answers  and said “not up-to the mark” and nodded his head, giving  negative signs,  then he gave some suggestions on how to improve which proved beneficial as even after my silly mistakes in mains in which in my zeal I over-wrote and thus failed to attempt 36 marks questions and yet got 176/300.
There is an interesting incident to narrate, on constant listening of Upendra-“gatha”   between me and Ali , my friend Anjaneesh decided to take sociology as an optional and after several deliberations we decided to call sir, and so as instructed reached before time to meet him. When he met, he asked what is “agenda ”  for the day, at the same time there was some frequency gap between us and I thought Anjaneesh will speak and he thought that I will respond, creating a lull, which we recovered and after brief introduction, we were again eating sandwiches  in adjacent bakery with a book of David Mandelbaum.
If I am within the list it is only due to sir as after clearing mains’11, I approached him again for mock sessions away from popular “shrines” in Delhi which we can  we see in the newspapers of that reference period, we find that somebody is conducting it free of cost, some on nominal cost, some boast of “eminent” panels while few non-sense even go to the extent saying  that they have predicted questions for interview. So on due date and before time , I was in front of sir and what followed was only further replicated in Dholpur house. My experience of mocks in 2011 in V&R was utter distasteful and I could get only 129 in 2011. But as is personality test, so it also depends on your personal factors, boards attitude , so am not blaming anyone for that fiasco.  But yes, credit for this years improvement definitely goes to Sir. Though am not sort of Eklavya as such but yes his notes ,guidance, tests and suggestions have helped me a lot in this journey  along with my other friends. And I must extend my regards to him, for being such helping hand to me and many others like us. and today when i join service, am again saying...

Thanks SIR.





Comments

  1. I couldn't agree more.Upendra sir is a tall personality,rises above the fakes of Rajender Nagar and Mukherjee Nagar.I endorse the same views as the ones reflected above.Gem of a teacher !

    Amit Srivastava

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. so be ready with guru-dakshina and get in with flying colors...

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

बाणभट्ट की आत्मकथा - पंo हजारी प्रसाद द्विवेदी

बाणभट्ट की आत्मकथा -पंडित हजारी प्रसाद द्विवेदी “जलौघमग्ना सचराचरा धरा विषाणकोट्याखिलविश्वमूर्तिना | समुदधृता येन वराहरूपिणा स मे स्वयंभूर्भगवान प्रसीदतु ||”       बाणभट्ट की आत्मकथा पढने का सबसे पहली बार विचार मन में तब आया जब कुमुद जी से “गुनाहों का देवता” के विषय में बात हो रही थी | बातो-बातो में जानकारी मिली की उक्त पुस्तक अपने ह्रदय में असंख्य मानवीय संवेदनाओ को समाहित किये हुए है और मूलतः वो बाणभट्ट की आत्मकथा  की पाण्डुलिपि का हिंदी अनुवाद है जो कि अपूर्ण है और जहाँ कही कोई सन्दर्भ उपलब्ध नहीं है वहां पर लेखक ने अन्य उपलब्ध समकालीन साहित्य का सहारा लिया है|      इस लघु आलेख का उद्देश्य पुस्तक या लेखक की अलोचना या मूल्यांकन करना नहीं है| यह एक प्रयास है हिंदी साहित्य की महान विभूतियों और उनके कार्यो को आमजन के बीच में लाने का| वैसे भी जब से अंग्रेजी माध्यम के विद्यालय बहुल हुए है तब से हिंदी और अन्य लोक भाषा के साहित्यों और जानकारों का अकाल सा पड गया है| एसा नहीं है की युवा पीढ़ी को यह पसंद नहीं है बल्कि मुख्य कारण ये है की उन्हें इस बात का एहसास नहीं की हिंदी साहि

Dugga Elo (Durga arrives _/\_)

Calcutta : Maa Asche                You can be nostalgic about the city anytime. While having tea missing your Lal cha, Sandesh craving at evenings or malai toast at Faltu or Kalakand of Kaka Tea. Come Puja (Pujo to be precise) and you miss that Pujo fever in the air with mind retrieving the memories cherished in the city for years and seems like “aaj hi Calcutta chala jaata hu.” To add the WhatsApp statuses of friends and Insta reels of Pujo Pandals of Chetla Agrani and Shreebhumi extract a piece of heart from you.                Come Pujo and we see Kolkata transforming itself with whole city lit with best of lighting right from Airport to Howrah Bridge with sea of humans in between which means famous Pujo Pandal is in vicinity. The Deshapriya Park Pujo unveiled world’s biggest Thakur (idol in Bangla) in 2015 till 2022 the Pujo has constantly enriched itslef with latest being getting the recognition by UNESCO. 2015 onwards there was hardly any year till I left the city where I miss

Being Mortal : Atul Gawande

      Being Mortal : Atul Gawande  Medicine and What Matters in the End A guide of death and what happens before. There is emergence of literature which is discussing the prior death experiences which was not much talked about previously. Paul Kalanithi's "When breath becomes Air" was recommended to me by an oncologist but haven't followed that genre for long.  I picked up  Being Mortal : Atul Gawande published by Penguin Books  recently and this was my first book of Dr. Gawande's literature who has mostly written on medicine and its interaction with humans. The book talks about the need to talk about detah and how medical profession is failing to keep up with the idea of dignified death and harps upon artficial life elongation instead of focussing on quality of life. The author banks upon his own experiences as a physician based in USA and near experiences of his father who himself was a doctor and develops cancer after 7 decades of healthy life . He states tha